Saturday, May 6, 2017

Daizy's Story: the short version (still waiting for adoption)


*Click here for Daizy's adoption profile.

Once upon a time I took in what I thought was 2 1/2 year old untrained Great Pyrenees to guard my future livestock. I was unprepared but thought I could handle it and Daizy was so sweet and had to stay in a small kennel otherwise.

Over time I made good progress with her and thoroughly enjoyed training such a smart and affectionate animal.  However, time also revealed a number of issues that I was unprepared or unable to deal with (and also that she was really an Akbash, not a Great Pyrenees). She was a little excited upon first meetings and had a tendency to jump her 75# self onto my young children (although got much better over time). She was an extreme resource guarder around other animals (but never humans) and would not allow other animals around any kind of food, hay, farm equipment, or anything else remotely interesting. But those things could be managed.
The main challenge was that she did not get along with other animals. She was biting and chasing my goats, and was also intolerant of even the sight of any other dogs.

These challenges would force me to either keep her all alone outside, or find her a home where she could be kept as a pet (no small children, good fence). I loved her and if I could have kept her as a pet I would have, but it would not be safe to keep her in the house with my small children, and there is not really a way to fence in my house/yard so she could be by the house. I cried when I made the decision to give her up but I knew I couldn't keep her.

Despite these challenges I know she can be an amazing pet for someone. She loves people very much. She is smart and since she has always gone potty outside could be house trained very quickly. She would most likely lounge around all day with "one eye open" like a true guardian. She would live a long, vigorous walk every day and lots of love, cuddles, and brushing from her family. If rural she could bark predators away in a fenced yard like she was bred to do, or if residential she could spend the night indoors where there is nothing to bark at so as not to disturb neighbors. But she would be a very loving companion.

If you know of a great home for Daizy please contact Four Paws Resuce.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Teaching Your Dog to Do Nothing

Dogs do all kinds of things you don't want them to do: jump up, counter surf, chase the cat, etc. Some of it is instinct, some of it i...