Sunday, April 23, 2017

Why I Choose Positive Training Methods


Zeus and my three year old daughter. 
  1. I had never trained an animal before so I sought out resources to help train my dog. The only resource I could find on training Livestock Guardian Dogs was the Livestock Guard Dogs and Positive Training Methods Facebook page, which predisposed me to their approach.
  2. It makes sense to me from prior studies as an Early Elementary Education major and as a kindergarten teacher.  
  3. I can have a real "bleeding heart" so using punishment consistently is really, really hard for me, and I believe consistency is very important. 
  4. Positive Training methods fit right along with my personal philosophy of non-violence in pretty much every aspect of life. 
  5. There is good science supporting it. 
  6. Punishments and negative methods can have unpredictable unintended consequences. 
  7. Science and logic say it is more effective to teach an animal what *to* do rather than what not to do. 
  8. It's good for your relationship with your animal. 
  9. It's fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Teaching Your Dog to Do Nothing

Dogs do all kinds of things you don't want them to do: jump up, counter surf, chase the cat, etc. Some of it is instinct, some of it i...